[Duplicity-talk] Duplicity failing during initial full backup over SSH/S

From: Kevin Elliott
Subject: [Duplicity-talk] Duplicity failing during initial full backup over SSH/SCP
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 17:35:00 -0700

Greetings,

I've been using Duplicity for small backups for several months, and find it to be an incredibly useful tool. I especially like the fact that it stores my contents in an encrypted fashion on the remote end, and doesn't just rely on encryption for the transit (i.e. ssh). I do have a major problem right now, to which I can't see a solution to at the moment. I have looked through the mailing list archives, and found a couple of situations that were similar, but after applying their suggested fixes, I still have the problem. Perhaps someone can help!

I have a large set of data (about 20GB) on a server that I'm attempting to backup remotely to Dreamhost. A full backup runs for several hours and then eventually cancels due to an interruption in the SSH connection. I have tried to extend the SSH timeout to 1800, but this hasn't helped at all.

1) Is there a solution to this problem that I'm overlooking?

2) Is there a feature in the roadmap to resume interrupted SSH/SCP-based backups automatically?

I haven't found any other backup tool to have the features of Duplicity that I need (encrypted transit, encrypted remote storage, full/incremental backups, easy CLI to backup/restore), so I'd like very much for this to work if it can.

Thanks,

Kevin