Re: [Duplicity-talk] Backend for Amazon S3

From: Charles Knowlton
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Backend for Amazon S3
Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2007 23:01:35 -0500

This would not be good to have it retry indefinitely especially
if Duplicity is run under CRON as this could cause issues for
the web hosting providers.

Just my 3 cents worth here

Regards,
Charles knowlton

On Jul 7, 2007, at 9:13 PM, Eric Evans wrote:

[ Kenneth Loafman ]
I'm working on the RC9 patches at the moment.  This looks a bit bare
bones. Don't we need to address retries for network errors, timeouts,
etc., or is that handled in boto itself?

Yes, boto will retry once before raising an exception. The only
situations I've personally encountered where that wasn't enough
were outright outages on Amazon's end.

By contrast, the bitbucket backend will retry every 10 seconds
indefinately, (it seems to be the only backend that does that). I'm not
sure how others feel about that, but it might be rather annoying if
duplicity were being run non-interactively and the error condition
persisted.

-- Eric

Eric Evans wrote:
I filed a bug[1] for this a couple of days ago, but thought it might
warrant a post here in case others are interested in testing.

The current duplicity backend for S3 uses the bitbucket module from
Mitch Garnaat which has been deprecated in favor of boto[2].

I've worked up a patch for a boto-using-backend which is attached to the
bug report and this email. Use of this backend is identical to the
current one with one exception, you need to export the AWS_ACCESS_KEY_ID and AWS_SECRET_ACCESS_KEY environment variables with your Amazon key id
and secret as opposed to the current S3KEY/S3SECRET combo.

I'm also working to get boto into the Debian archive and currently have a package waiting in the NEW queue. Any Debian users interested in testing
this patch can grab the package using the following sources.

deb http://people.debian.org/~eevans/python-boto binary/
deb-src http://people.debian.org/~eevans/python-boto source/

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Regards,