[Duplicity-talk] more polished backends.py/ftpBackend (was: 0.4.3.RC3 Re

From: dAniel hAhler
Subject: [Duplicity-talk] more polished backends.py/ftpBackend (was: 0.4.3.RC3 Ready for Test)
Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 23:39:00 +0200

Please find attached a new backends.py file and a patch against CVS HEAD:
- use self.ftp.quit() in self.close()
- use close() in connect() and only "pass" for ftplib.all_errors exceptions
- Log FTP command in the retry-loop - so the used comment gets logged
also when retrying
- Optimized "nlst" check
- Removed handling of 221/421 errors - this should get handled now in general
- Whitespace fixes for log.FatalError; also print stack with the last one
- Do not sleep on the first retry: this avoids a 10 seconds delay on
e.g. EOFError
- Just call connect() if we expect to be logged in; moved this out of
the try block

The main fix probably is: call connect() on errors, if is_connected -
this means: we expect to be connected.
As connect() now disconnects/quits first, this should fix the "too
many logins" issue found recently - and which had been fixed by you in
some other way.
Also the "only sleep 0 seconds on first exception" change is a good
one: we should not wait before re-trying the first time.

There are also some TEST and TODO comments. Please review either the
patch and apply it as you think it fits. I would just drop the TEST
comment, which is mainly a hint for testing the backend also with a
good connection ;)

Thank you.

On 5/31/07, dAniel hAhler <address@hidden> wrote:
> Release Candidate 3 is ready.
>
> This fixes the slowdown in FTP that was caused by the RC2 patch.

Get it from here:
http://download.savannah.nongnu.org/releases/duplicity/ (people are
lazy)

It's great to see you pushing RC's often - this really looks like
we're going to have a better release in the next days.
I'll send you a patch/new backend.py file later, regarding ftp handling.