Re: [Duplicity-talk] slowness+ ftp timeouts with 0.4.3-rc1

From: dAniel hAhler
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] slowness+ ftp timeouts with 0.4.3-rc1
Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 13:18:44 +0200

On 5/31/07, Nicolas Aspert <address@hidden> wrote:
I have tested 0.4.3-rc2+patch and the incremental backup worked fine.
Note that my timeouts are not due to a poor connection, as my ftp backup
box is on my lan ! Maybe the incremental backups do not send data often
enough and thus result in an ftp timeout ?

Yes, it looks like it from the exception you're getting:
Catched exception duplicity.ftplib.error_temp: 421 No Transfer Timeout

Do these exceptions still occur with the patch from Kenneth? But they
get handled better?

AFAICS your problem (and another one I'm experiencing), was caused by
the following change in my original ftpBackend patch:
    try:
-                if self.is_connected:
+                if not self.is_connected:
                        self.connect()
               return ftplib.FTP.__dict__[command](self.ftp, *args)

The intention had been to re-connect, if we're supposed to be
connected (e.g. we do not want to re-connect when the CONNECT call
failed itself).
The only problem with this seemed to be that previous connections
where not closed.

This seems to get handled now better with the patch above (or CVS HEAD).

I've attacked the problem a bit different though. I need to test this
and will then report back again.