[Duplicity-talk] --remove-older-than: what obvious thing am I missing?

From: Eric Hanchrow
Subject: [Duplicity-talk] --remove-older-than: what obvious thing am I missing?
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2005 19:13:10 -0800

I've use this script to do periodic unattended backups to a couple of
remote hosts to which I've got ssh access.

    #!/bin/sh

    # Is today Sunday?
    if test `date +%w` = 0; then
        howmuch=--full
    else
        howmuch=--incremental
    fi

    for host in one.host.com another.host.net etc.you.get.the.picture
      do
      echo $host ...
      duplicity \
          $howmuch \
          --remove-older-than $(date +%s --date='last week') \
          --include $HOME/one-important-directory \
          --include $HOME/another-important-directory \
          --exclude '**' \
          $HOME \
          scp://$host/dups
    done

It seems to work fine (i.e., the "dups" directories on those hosts are
filling up nicely with impressive-looking backup files) except for one
thing: those backup files never get deleted.  I'd thought that by
specifying --remove-older-than, files older than a week would get
pruned, but it ain't happening.  Am I misunderstanding something?

This is version 0.4.1-8 on Debian Sarge (aka "Testing").

--
[Dijkstra's] great strength is that he is uncompromising.  It
would make him physically ill to think of programming in C++.