dragora-members

Re: [Dragora-members] Current Status

From: Matias Fonzo
Subject: Re: [Dragora-members] Current Status
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2020 20:01:04 -0300

El 2020-06-21 15:29, Michael Siegel escribió:
Am 21.06.20 um 04:24 schrieb Matias Fonzo:

We met my wife and daughter waiting for our next child, little
brother. In May we started a construction project here at my house,
taking advantage of the fact that the quarantine has been released a
little bit here (until Jun 28) since there is no Pandemic in this
city, we are and I am particularly very stressed since I was behind
the workers and getting all the materials as possible to advance the
time, we believe that the baby is coming next week.  We are very
happy and at the same time very tired and busy so that this
construction can be finished, now that it can, because I think that
at the end of the year or next year it will be impossible to build
anything, due to the prices and because I also think that the
powerful people of the world do not want anyone to have their/a
house...

I mention the construction site because it will be my new workspace
(there in the background, courtyard).  That's right, they sent me
back! :-)

I am currently occupying a whole room for the computer and music
stuff, and we hope to have this space available for when the baby can
occupy it.

Well then, best of luck with all of this to you and your family!

Thanks!

All along the way I've been trying to do things for Dragora, to say
the least, some of the relevant changes I've made and I'm working on
them:

- I've been testing Qi 2.0 and I think it's ready, I'll soon send a
version here for comments or testing, if possible.

Nice.

- The name of the architectures we provide for the packages has
changed, mainly:

"x86_64" is now called "amd64". "i586" remains under the same name.

- I have adjusted the rest of the targets (from the cross compiler)
for possible architectures that could be provided in the future, in
the case of ARM they are now distinguished: armfp, armhf, armhl.
"x86_64-32" now for example is composed as "x32".

Note that I am referring to the new name given for the architecture
that composes the packages or package names.  These are based on
Debian, which has more generic names for the architecture (see
https://wiki.debian.org/SupportedArchitectures).

This implied making changes to the cross-compiler targets, in Qi,
and also now the Dragora ISO is composed using the new architecture
definition!.

I see. But what exactly is the reason you changed that? Isn't "x86_64"
the generic (and most neutral) name for this architecture?

For example, the Intel Core 2 Duo processor I have in my main computer
would run the "amd64" version of Dragora then.

I think this way of naming that architecture has quite some potential
for (unnecessary) confusion. But maybe you had some good reasons to
rename things that way.

x86_64 is a bad to type name with a char that can cause problems, plus x86_64 is also the kernel architecture for x32.

- I have improved Dragora by adding new security features to the
x86_64 (amd64) architecture such as "stack clash protection" and
"CET protection", both now by default.

I did the same for i586, but I still couldn't test it well since the
current version of busybox doesn't work with the new Musl "time_t".
There are patches to be applied to busybox, but I prefer to wait for
the new version containing these changes to be released while I work
on other areas of Dragora.

Yeah, that sounds reasonable. And thanks for enhancing security, though
I understand none of those two things. :)

Haha. I don't have much either, but it's better to have them[1][2], I think.

[1] http://securingsoftware.blogspot.com/2017/12/stack-clash-protection-in-gcc.html

From [2] https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/Instrumentation-Options.html:

"Enable code instrumentation of control-flow transfers to increase program security by checking that target addresses of control-flow transfer instructions (such as indirect function call, function return, indirect jump) are valid. This prevents diverting the flow of control to an unexpected target. This is intended to protect against such threats as Return-oriented Programming (ROP), and similarly call/jmp-oriented programming (COP/JOP)."

Distributions like Fedora (and surely Redhat) are using these features.

- I improved all the scripts related to Dragora tools, Dragora init
system against shellcheck (see shellcheck.net).

Shellcheck for the win!

And the installer, of course.  :-)

- I have almost all the issues reported in
https://notabug.org/dragora/dragora/issues **almost solved**.

At the moment I had to leave the code enhancement to the Swap part
of the installer.  The idea is to make this part that can detect
multiple (previously enabled) Swap partitions and decide which one to
add to the fstab, one or more at the same time (via selection).  I
already implemented and tested this.  I have to do the same for
partitions that are not activated and you want to format them by
activating them.  I hope to apply the same concept that you can
format one or more partitions at the "same time" and add the
corresponding entries to the fstab.

... I have some other minor changes locally that will improve as the
project progresses.

Sounds great.

The next step or steps are to continue adjusting the installer,
finish the Swap part and continue with the modification of the menus
and instructions to install packages.  This has to be re-adapted and
super tested in order to make a successful installation (since the
names of the packages have changed, it's a good time to take
advantage of this to simplify and improve the visual or menu part).

Okay, how would testing this work? My guess is that you'd have to
compile an internal pre-release image for testing because the beta1
image wouldn't really work anymore.

I should send the ISO here, privately (at some link), so you can test it. It is possible that everything will not work according to the plan I mentioned, Trinity may not work, still it would be good to have this ISO to see who can help.

Later on I plan to update everything, including the new version of
Trinity Desktop to see if it works well, I think we will be able to
see the new version then...

Trinity would be really cool to have because there are not too many
distributions offering it through the package manager and those who do
are, I guess, quite different from what people interested in Dragora
would like to use. It's especially hard to find a distribution that has
Trinity in the repositories and does not use systemd, as far as I can see.

Also, when the release is ready, let's work out a nice release
announcement and send it out to a couple of interested parties in order
to really get the word out about Dragora.

I would appreciate any help here, since whenever I try to make an announcement, I arrive mentally exhausted.

P.S: I hope each of you is well!

Yeah, I'm trying to Scheme it up in small daily doses here. :) Well, and
all the other stuff I do in my other life is going okay as well, no
brick laying involved.

Cool, Scheme seems a good option to learn. But now I'm kind of more into learning C. :-)

Enjoy your rest and all the best!

Thanks, I'm gonna need it. The baby's sure to wake up at night wanting to hack. ;-)