dotgnu-pnet

Re: [Pnet-developers] Using Portable.Net on an embedded system (2.)

From: Gopal V
Subject: Re: [Pnet-developers] Using Portable.Net on an embedded system (2.)
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 03:52:27 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

> embedded board. I have
> ported GC and libffi to cris (patches will be send
> in the near future).

Glad to know about that :)

> # ./ilrun -L libs/ hello.exe
> 00:40:8C:CD:00:<5>__alloc_pages: 0-order allocation
> failed (gfp=0x1d2/0)

Is this still a memory issue ?. I've fixed CVS
in such a way that you can build both mscorlib.dll
and ilrun as "--with-profile=kernel-fp" .

That should give you at least some way to confirm
that the problem is with the memory usage .

> Anybody knows a reason why this happens (or how
> should I debug this)?

Can you just try this again with the low memory
profiles ?. (remember to swap the locks in monitor.c
as the earlier mail said).

For starters before all that, I'll give you a
statically linked IL file (surprise, surprise) .
Get it from http://t3.dotgnu.info/code/test.il
Use that as follows

cscc -nostdlib -o test.exe test.il (on your desktop)

copy this over onto the board and try running .. you
can use this to test out only very basic functionality
because the System.* classes are self contained in
this
dll (you'll see System.String and System.Object
there).

To confirm this is running , uncomment the IL_DUMP_CVM

in cvm_config.h , recompile ilrun (make clean
advised).
This will give you a dump of the actual stack
transitions - if it works you'll see something
like

ckheight            /* .maxstack */
ldtoken             /* ldstr */
pop
ldc_i4_1
ldc_i4_3
iadd                /* add for two ints */
pop

HTH,
Gopal