Re: [DotGNU]Dotgnu written in C#?

From: James Michael DuPont
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Dotgnu written in C#?
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2003 15:17:39 -0700 (PDT)

--- Rich Baumann <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-08-06 at 22:21, DrDiettrich wrote:
> > I also vote for an (automated?) translation of existing C projects
> into
> > C#. Then the better error checking features of C# (or at least C++)
> can
> > be used to comb out some lurking bugs in many projects, and the
> > resulting source code will be really platform independent. Let pure
> or
> > extended C code die away ASAP, in favor of more stable, portable
> and
> > bugfree software!
>
> No offence, but this is just about the worst idea I've ever heard.
> Well
> written C programs and libraries, of which there is an abundance in
> the
> GNU system, are the most stable, most portable, and least bug-ridden
> code available. They're also usually a lot more efficient, in both
> speed
> and memory usage, than equivalent programs/libraries written in other
> languages.

I dont agree with you rich. You are being shortsighted.
We need tools that allow the migration of software.

C# is perfect to replace the nasty structs and pointers of some c code.

the ability to look for patterns in your code, applying what microsoft
has patented as enzymes in an intentional programming system as just
meta programs implmented on a proof engine running inside the pnet/c
compiler. That would allow yout to transform the representation of the
data.

I envisage the proof engine to accept rules in the n3 language and do
its operations on a standardized mapping of the treecc compiler onto
rdf.

by having a way to translate any treecc grammr to n3, and be able to
run the proof engine on them, we can retain an internal pointer to the
treecc object.

the treecc object will allow itself to be instanciated from the rdf
datagram.

that will aloow a distributed network of webservices that pass along
snippets of the c programs, applying algorithms to the and passing them
along futher.

this will allow value added compiler services to be sold on the node
bases via an abdabi server.

mike

=====
James Michael DuPont