[DotGNU]Re: proposal: DotGNU Trademark License

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: [DotGNU]Re: proposal: DotGNU Trademark License
Date: Thu, 07 Aug 2003 02:04:54 -0400

In any policy for use of a trademark we should make it clear
that mentioning the name in the text of documentation or articles
does not constitute "use" for trademark purposes, and is therefore
not covered at all.  Lawyers will know this, but hackers will
systematically misunderstand.

       (a) Some functionality is provided, and in addition there is
           a description of this functionality, namely how the
           service should be used and what it provides.

That is very abstract.  I don't understand it.  Could you say it
concretely?  Please avoid using the passive voice, since that
introduces vagueness.

       (b) The service is offered over a computer network (e.g. the
           internet or an intranet) via standard protocols, i.e. protocols
           that are open, widely published, and freely available for anyone
           to implement.

If this is meant to say that everyone is free to implement it,
I think those words are not clear.  Also, why should this require
"widely" published?  What point is there in that?  Also, if
"open" is different from "published", what does it mean?

One final point: have you worked with a lawyer to write this text?
Licenses must be reviewed by lawyers.