Re: [DotGNU]Webservice Execution and pnet embedding

From: David Sugar
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Webservice Execution and pnet embedding
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2002 15:52:25 -0500 (EST)

This is true that often it is desirable for process isolation.  A segfault
in an instanciated thread can bring the entire service down otherwise.  I
read chris's comments in this regard to having a waiting process pool
(yes, like apache) of initiated vm instances, and I think that is a sound
idea.  Some of what ends up being discussed here could certainly have
performance and reliability impact in other areas of potential pnet
embeding and uses.

In a related topic, since you bring this up, yes, ultimately, I would also
like to see libILxxx become shared libraries.  While it appears one can
statically link to the pnet vm subsystem, right now one cannot easily
embed pnet directly into other things from it's installed libraries
because these also depend on libffi and libgc, which are not normally
installed as generic application linkable libraries.  I think having a
complete linkable install image, and as one or more shared libraries,
would be most ideal.