[DotGNU]A DotGNU-Contrib project

From: Gopal V
Subject: [DotGNU]A DotGNU-Contrib project
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 17:06:48 +0530

Hi Everyone,
        I've been giving a lot of thought about adding new libraries
to Portable.Net . The libxmlsharp has started a few marbles rolling
in my head and the first question that popped out was , whether to
maintain the new libraries as a new project or to follow the otherlibs
idea for pnet cvs.

        The problem was that not many would like to put their work into
seperate projects , due to the obvious problems in fragmentation. The
idea that crystallised has been a sort of like CPAN , a single project
that hosts the whole dotgnu extension libraries .

        I would like a bit of feedback on this , because this would mean
that new libraries will be easily added and maintained . We may even
be able to keep the whole repository indexed on dependencies.

        The reason I put forward this is , yesterday SidNL was speaking
about the possibility of an SQL library for pnet and the whether it
needs a seperate project.... I was thinking along the lines of doing
an XmlPacket interface for Table serialization ..... etc

        To obtain a dotgnu- prefix , the project needs the official
blessing of DotGNU SC .. So I'll wait until that happens. But this
idea allows people to build a community of people and make sense of
the dotgnu-doc and similar stuff I have in libxmlsharp .

        IMO this is a Good Idea to use a contrib directory to host stuff
like Sdh's Bf.Net compiler , my dotgnu.xml and the dotgnu.sql stuff
SidNL is planning and more stuff like the DotGNU-doc , etc....
This should be the one single repository of DotGNU stuff contributed
by others ...

Gopal