Re: [DotGNU]About scripting: SilverScript

From: Gopal V
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]About scripting: SilverScript
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 11:27:06 +0530

If memory serves me right, James Mc Parlane wrote:
> > I've been looking into Ruby, it seems like it has all the stuff needed
> > for DotGNU scripting, and it's portable.
> > I believe it should be possible to make a Ruby extension
> > library (or an
>
> How about a generic scriping engine interface module that would allow people
> to easily integrate existing scriping languages?

One thing I have realized from the DotGNU experience is that try to make
it work before generalizing ... Generic stuff takes much more time and
effort ... My emphasis is "here,now and fast" ...

> > the extension libs (and the interpreter) are written in C, pnet is
> > written in C, so as far as I can see we could make an extension that
> > connects to the pnet engine code and uses it to work with IL.
>
> This sounds like the kind of thing that could be used by many different
> languages if a generic scripting extension could be created.

We can cannibalize the ruby extension libs once we go through that project
successfully .

IMO, it's better to start with a Proof of concept and then generalize.
And we're not yet to the first stage.

Gopal