Re: [DotGNU]special exception to GPL

From: David Sugar
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]special exception to GPL
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 17:02:43 -0400

In the case of Guile, they had chosen to create a LGPL-like license in some ways, without all the same effects that the LGPL has. I believe the Guile style GPL with linking exception also preceeded the LGPL historically, and certainly functions as a GPL with a limited linking exception that reverts to the pure GPL in derived works, while L-GPL allows derived works to also be under the L-GPL. In some ways I like the Guile linking exception approach better than I like the L-GPL :). However, for consistancy, it's probably simpler for modern libraries (and embedded interpreters) to use the LGPL for consistency in licensing unless they have some specific problems with using it (such as in class frameworks where it is harder to generalize what is linked vs what is derived and which may require specific language to cover this the way the Guile exceptions do).

S11001001 wrote:

I have noticed that other projects, such as Classpath and Guile, list their GPL exceptions in every source file. Why is this not so for pnetlib?