Re: [DotGNU]Ethics Question

From: Matthew Tedder
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Ethics Question
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2002 09:25:17 -0400

Great ideas.  The software in question is an admin. tool for a particular
class of hardware.  Perhaps if I built-in a web service for on-line support,
image (driver) updates, and documentation then it would link the product back
to my company for the hardware (which is the point).  I'd like the tool to
work with hardware from other companies but would like to GPL the tool and
create a preference for our hardware--not by purposely making it work better
with our hardware but simply by advertising.  If we provide the tool for free
then don't we deserve at least some strong advertising in return?  Should a
competitor be able to modify the tool making it advertise their products, if
we put all the money into creating it?

Matthew

--
Anything that can be logically explained, can be programmed.