Re: [DotGNU]Re: Meet-a-thon

From: Barry Fitzgerald
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Re: Meet-a-thon
Date: Sun, 02 Jun 2002 12:37:10 -0400

Peter Minten wrote:

> > I don't see many at the weekly meets :)
>
> Could be pnet looks to complicated for them, and the fact that the meets
> usually tackle subjects like intercalls and threading should scare the
> newbies off too. Maybe something like an extra #dotgnu-newbies chatroom
> would be a solution? The newbies could ask their questions there while
> the complicated stuff stays at #dotgnu.

That would be a good idea.  It's not hard to make channels on OPN -- in
fact, just entering one creates it.  You have to msg chanserv to create
a channel and register it to your login, though.  But, that's not hard
either.

> Excuse me, but I don't really see the point in first announcing a
> meeting and then moving it to another channel because you don't want the
> readers in the meeting. Wouldn't it be better to announce the meeting on
> another place than /. where the trolls and flamers don't look and keep
> the meeting on #dotgnu? The Newsforge website would be a good place, the
> DotGNU website would also be a good place and if realizable (I don't
> know the procedures for this) it would be nice to have the meeting in
> the news section of GNU website and FreeDevelopers website.

Newsforge and Linuxtoday are good enough... GNU would also work but I'm
not certain that anyone actually goes to the FD website at any given
time.  They certainly don't go there for news.

We can get them covered on Newsforge easily enough.  Grant is a great
guy.

> We aren't running anymore, we're flying :-). Who are the big players
> anyway? Haven't heard of much initiatives besides .NET and DotGNU
> (though I remember something about Sun having some kind of own
> initiative).

IBM is a name I've heard thrown around more often lately.  Of course,
they were always at the forefront of SOAP and all of the other
webservice protocols.  They're just coming more to the foreground these
days.

And, all we had to do to prove our longevity was to stay around for some
time.

> Has there been any feedback from the industry? I'm curious if they have
> any some useful comments.

Not that I've seen, but we're not quite at that point yet.  Anything the
industry would say right now would be "premature".  We really need to
focus on getting everything back together and cohesive.

> Good idea, that style would be great for 'the State of the Project'.

The style is not bad, but I envision more of a rundown on each project
than reflective essays.  I don't think that the reflective essays are as
conducive to this type of document.

> Maybe we could have a list of topics needed to be discussed, at the end
> of the meet-a-thon summaries could be added per topic to that list.

A good idea -- but the meet-a-thon seemed to me to be more chaotic last
time.  I'm not sure that there's any other way to do it in one channel
without it getting chaotic.  We can mod the channel but that would be a
LOT of work -- and what about the times when there are no mods?

Anyway, how about this:

spawn off different channels for the meet-a-thon:

#dotgnu

General discussion and meeting.

#dotgnu-pnet

Portable.Net discussion (also, pnetlib, treecc, and cscc)

#dotgnu-PHPGW

PHPGW discussion.

#dotgnu-auth

Authentication discussion

Any other possibilities?

> > Let everyone remember the comments about the "original" meet-a-thon...
>
> Guess I'll have to dive into the archives again, blub, blub, blub.

heh - wear your scuba gear.  Them depths are murky and treacherous.

        -Barry