Re: [DotGNU] hpux issues

From: Rhys Weatherley
Subject: Re: [DotGNU] hpux issues
Date: Mon, 27 May 2002 14:22:18 +1000

James Mc Parlane wrote:

> In short, automake appears to me the "Work Of The Devil"TM

That's putting it mildly. :-)

Seriously though, using automake/autoconf is less
evil than doing it all by hand, I can assure you.

> When compiling with aCC I get the following line in the Makefile
>
> /bin/sh gen_errno.sh ../include/il_errno.h aCC -Ae -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I.
> -I../include    -I../libgc/include -g >errno_map.c
> aCC: warning 901: unknown option: `-': use +help for online documentation.

"gen_errno.sh" is trying to pre-process <errno.h>,
so it can determine the real location of the
definitions (which may be in a file included by
<errno.h>, and not <errno.h> itself).  It does
this as follows:

    echo '#include <errno.h>' | COMPILER -E -

where "COMPILER" is all of the options from the third
onwards.  It appears that aCC does not understand "-"
to mean "take source from stdin" when pre-processing.

> So I'm just wondering. Is the pnet build going to be limited just to gcc?

It will be limited to anything Unix-ish (don't even
bother using Visual C++ - it won't work and I have
no plans to make it work).  It should be possible
to get it compiling with aCC, once the GNU-isms in
the shell scripts have been fixed.

You may have to change the script to echo the line
"#include <errno.h>" to a temporary file first.  It
shouldn't be too hard to change, and I'll update my
version once you find something that works.

Cheers,

Rhys.