Re: [DotGNU]A mention from Sun

From: Andy Kilner
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]A mention from Sun
Date: 9 May 2002 23:34:41 +0000

On Thu, 09 May 2002, Bill Lance wrote:

> in this article:
>
> http://slashdot.org/interviews/02/05/09/0242219.shtml?tid=102
>
> is the following mention of dotgnu.

[snip]

> I was very happy to see Apache in the list of charter
> organizations endorsing the concept of the Liberty
> Alliance because it effectively ensured that the
> Liberty Alliance would have to accept non-profit
> membership and indeed they have defined a no-cost
> Affiliate membership level. This opens up the
> possibility for efforts like DotGNU to join and bring
> their perspectives (or their technology) to the table.
> Since DotGNU is a Free Software project the
> traditional challenges of working in concert with
> profit-motivated organizations will definitely arise
> but as your question points out the alternative is
> diminished impact.

Is this not essentially the wrong way round. The liberty alliance is just
one of many possible athentication techniques. Rather than dotGNU becoming
a member of the liberty alliance, shouldn't the liberty alliance become a
subproject of dotGNU just as the other auth projects are. Unfortunately
this will probably never be the case unless dotGNU really establishes
itself with it's hopes of surpassing .NET, an ever uphill battle.

Still it is nice that dotGNU is on the minds of the /. masses and
especially Liberty Alliance members.

-andy