Re: [DotGNU]pnet and java again

From: Jakob Praher
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]pnet and java again
Date: 05 Feb 2002 11:14:18 +0100

Am Die, 2002-02-05 um 04.21 schrieb S11001001:

> The only part of pnet that should be Java should be the Java language to IL
> bytecode compiler, to allow Java code to be used in pnet projects. Otherwise,
> Java support should be relegated to the Java SEE plugin.
>
> I base this belief on the fact that Java deserves a separate program, and it
> more correctly implements the language-agnosticism intended by the SEE/DEE
> architecture. So far, I believe too much development weight has been placed
> on
> the pnet project, but this should change once Java has a project of its own.
> do not want to see a monolithic pnet that handles most of the DotGNU workload.

ok.
A vm devoted to java would surely be the best way to go, but given the
fact that all free jvm implementations, like japhar and kaffe, are in
hibernation mode right now, I felt, that working with pnet as a base  vm
could be interesting.

What I could imagine is, having generic modules, like Rhys is trying
with the jit engine, I think, that can be used both for a JAVA runtime
and a CLR.

for instance
        a GC module
        a JIT module

so that we can reuse as much as possible, and that both sides could
benefit from improvments.

(As I know too little about the CLR - so I don't know how complicated
this sharing really is).