Re: [DotGNU]Jabber Server and GPL

From: Peter Saint-Andre
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Jabber Server and GPL
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 16:19:22 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 22 Nov 2001, Adam Theo wrote:

> Well, from what I've found out, it would be pretty difficult to get the
> current Open Source server GPL'ed. It's copyrighted by various
> individual members of the core team (Jer, Temas, DizzyD, and others), as
> well as Jabber, Inc in large part. Even with this obstacle, I'm going to

AFAIK, none of the source code in the open-source server is copyrighted by
Jabber Inc. Your perception of that may be affected by its release under
the JOSL, which was originally developed for licensing Jabber Inc. code
but then also applied to jabber.org code. The copy of the JOSL that people
use says that Jabber Inc. is the copyright holder of all JOSL'd code, but
that is not accurate because people were lazy about their use of the JOSL.
Anyone can release code under the JOSL and that code is owned by the
creator of that code (not by Jabber Inc.), but people didn't take the time
to change the copyright owner in the JOSL text from Jabber Inc. to whoever
developed any given piece of code.

Hope this helps.

Peter

--