dmidecode-devel

Re: [dmidecode] [Patch 0/4] dmidecode: add dmi sysfs support

From: Leif Lindholm
Subject: Re: [dmidecode] [Patch 0/4] dmidecode: add dmi sysfs support
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2015 16:29:41 +0000

On Thu, Feb 26, 2015 at 03:48:22PM +0100, Jean Delvare wrote:
> I know that I took a long time to review the patches and post my
> comments and I am sorry about that. But you'd rather be patient when
> working with other people in the open source community. We are all busy
> and our priorities don't necessarily match your priorities.

The time taken to review the patches is not an issue.

The bit where my initial message asking what type of implementation
you might prefer was ignored, combined with the reply to the patches
we sent 3 months later basically saying "don't do it like that" felt
slightly less than productive.

> The only question left is whether you are going to implement the
> changes I suggested now and get things working fast, or if you are
> going to ignore my request and I have to do it all by myself, which
> won't possibly happen before April given my current schedule. That's
> your call, really.

The problem is that we're not just looking at dmidecode. We are
looking at many different tools. And there really isn't much point in
us going back and changing kernel interfaces before we know if
whatever that turns into is going to be acceptable to them.

Hence the library.

So, sorry, but I can't guarantee anything at this point.

But we'll come back when we have at least some vague agreement from
a few more projects on how to progress.

/
    Leif