dmidecode-devel

[dmidecode] Getting the speed of RAM using dmidecode

From: Mark Ryden
Subject: [dmidecode] Getting the speed of RAM using dmidecode
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 17:11:51 +0200

Hello,
        I have a couple of machines on which there are various
        fedora distros (F10, F9 and  F8) and redhat enterprise distros.
        On some of them lm_sensors run, on some lm_sensors does not run.

        I try to get the speed of the RAM using dmidecode but I can't. I do
        get other helpful about the RAM (like size, type, etc). but the speed
        entry shows: "Current Speed: Unknown". I had heard from other
people that
        on their machines dmidecode **does** show the RAM Speed. I must add that
        these machines are x86_64 based, and some of them are really brand new.
        I know of course that I can get this info from BIOS (or open
the case and
        look at the RAM sticks themselves) but I want to know why I
cannot see this
        with dmidecode ?

        I am using dmidecode-2.9-1.31.fc10.x86_64 (or lower version on the
other machines).

        Here is the output of dmidecode on one of these machines:

        Handle 0x0006
       DMI type 6, 12 bytes.
       Memory Module Information
               Socket Designation: A0
               Bank Connections: 0
               Current Speed: Unknown
               Type: DIMM SDRAM
               Installed Size: 512 MB (Single-bank Connection)
               Enabled Size: 512 MB (Single-bank Connection)
               Error Status: OK
Handle 0x0007
       DMI type 6, 12 bytes.
       Memory Module Information
               Socket Designation: A1
               Bank Connections: 2
               Current Speed: Unknown
               Type: DIMM SDRAM
               Installed Size: 512 MB (Single-bank Connection)
               Enabled Size: 512 MB (Single-bank Connection)
               Error Status: OK

Regards,
Mark