Re: Emoji support in textfields

From: Riccardo Canalicchio
Subject: Re: Emoji support in textfields
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2021 08:38:32 +0100

Yes! Unicode and something like Noto emoji font [1] should do the job, this is the best description that I have found on how emojis work [2]
I think that the complicated part is to let the rendering swap between current font and emoji font recognising when a glyph it's an emoji, the ICU library should be the right tool for that [3]
As well here a simple example that shows how to get the glyphs and then render with the specific font in cairo [4]

cheers
Riccardo

[1] https://github.com/googlefonts/noto-emoji
[2] https://tonsky.me/blog/emoji/
[3] https://icu.unicode.org/
[4] https://github.com/rozaxe/ex-harfbuzz-sdl2-cairo-freetype-emoji/blob/master/main.c

On Tue, 16 Nov 2021 at 00:49, Riccardo Mottola <riccardo.mottola@libero.it> wrote:
Hello namesake,

Riccardo Canalicchio wrote:
> I am wondering if anyone would be interested in having support for
> emojis in libs-gui 🤓

absolutely not ;-)

However both GNUmail and TalkSoup have am emoticon plugins - but it is
not exactly emoji: it is old-school replacement of text with icons, so
it is backend independent and font independent. So more of those
phone-style icons are missing, since they don't have a direct text
representation.

I suppose more you want to use unicode and specific fonts?

Riccardo