Re: wm compatibility

From: Alan Third
Subject: Re: wm compatibility
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2021 21:11:16 +0100

On Mon, Jul 12, 2021 at 10:14:28AM +0200, Fred Kiefer wrote:
> Yes, GNUstep has a known issue with tiling window managers. At the
> moment I cannot remember the exact cause. It must be something about
> window sizing and placing. GNUstep expects to have full control of
> these and this is not the case for for tiling window managers. As
> tiling window managers haven’t been that popular the demand to look
> into this and finding a workaround hasn’t been huge. If you really
> need this feature I could explain to you how to get more debug
> information about what is going on and maybe you could suggest a
> solution or workaround based on that.

Thanks for replying.

I don't really need this functionality, it was just throwing me off
when I was trying to debug some code and I couldn't tell if it was me,
GNUstep or the window manager. I'll assume it's the window manager for
now.

FWIW, GNUstep apps seem to behave absolutely fine with i3, at least
for me, it's just when I try to get the frame information it returns
nonsense. I'm actually putting the window into "floating" mode, but it
still starts in tiled mode, so I suspect that must be when it's
getting corrupted. I suppose I should try and work out how to open the
window in floating mode from the start.

Alternatively perhaps I should install another window manager and try
debugging on that for a while... :)
--
Alan Third