Re: The GNU Assembly — would this be something for GNUstep?

From: Ivan Vučica
Subject: Re: The GNU Assembly — would this be something for GNUstep?
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2021 01:13:47 +0100

On Mon, Apr 19, 2021 at 10:43 PM lars.sonchocky-helldorf@hamburg.de
<lars.sonchocky-helldorf@hamburg.de> wrote:
> Would this be something for GNUstep to join?

No opinion on my part, just some questions:

What does "the ability to act collectively" mean? Does GNUstep
specifically have another GNU project to "produc[e] technical
recommendations through a process of consensus-building" with? Which
recommendations could we influence, and which ones would we adopt
(seeing GS apps don't currently get an option of automatically
adhering to FreeDesktop.org filesystem specs)? Can we do this without
Assembly?

Lars, what's the benefit of joining the Assembly?

> The maintainers of some GNU software projects have founded the GNU Assembly.

Here's an observation of one peculiar detail: there's no mention of FSF.

Hence this seems like a fork of the GNU Project, seemingly adopting
new rules and regulations.

How does this work? What does it mean to be a GNU package?