Re: Problem with the GNUStep packages in FreebSD?

From: Wolfgang Lux
Subject: Re: Problem with the GNUStep packages in FreebSD?
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2021 11:28:43 +0100

> Am 16.03.2021 um 18:04 schrieb Edwin Ancaer <eancaer@gmail.com>:
>
> When I ran   nm -D libgnustep-gui.so, I did not find any of the undefined
> references, but I must admit that here, I'm argely out of my comfort zone, so
> it could be a normal situation.
>
> d: error: ./Framework/ProjectCenter.framework/./libProjectCenter.so:
> undefined reference to __objc_class_name_NSArray
> ld: error: ./Framework/ProjectCenter.framework/./libProjectCenter.so:
> undefined reference to __objc_class_name_NSException
> ld: error: ./Framework/ProjectCenter.framework/./libProjectCenter.so:
> undefined reference to __objc_class_name_NSMutableArray
> ld: error: ./Framework/ProjectCenter.framework/./libProjectCenter.so:
> undefined reference to __objc_class_name_NSWorkspace
> ld: error: ./Framework/ProjectCenter.framework/./libProjectCenter.so:
> undefined reference to __objc_class_name_NSAssertionHandler
> ld: error: ./Framework/ProjectCenter.framework/./libProjectCenter.so:
> undefined reference to __objc_class_name_NSMutableString
> ld: error: ./Framework/ProjectCenter.framework/./libProjectCenter.so:
> undefined reference to __objc_class_name_NSCharacterSet
> ld: error: ./Framework/ProjectCenter.framework/./libProjectCenter.so:
> undefined reference to __objc_class_name_NSFileHandle
> ld: error: ./Framework/ProjectCenter.framework/./libProjectCenter.so:
> undefined reference to __objc_class_name_NSOpenPanel
> ld: error: ./Framework/ProjectCenter.framework/./libProjectCenter.so:
> undefined reference to __objc_class_name_NSSavePanel
> ld: error: ./Framework/ProjectCenter.framework/./libProjectCenter.so:
> undefined reference to __objc_class_name_NSBox
> ld: error: ./Framework/ProjectCenter.framework/./libProjectCenter.so:
> undefined reference to __objc_class_name_NSPopUpButton
>
> What makes it worse is that Eclipse and Java survived the upgrade 🙁
>
> Could it be a problem with -fobjc-runtime=gnustep-1.8 in the link-statement.
> Shouldn't that have been 2.0 by now?

Oh, yes, well spotted. There’s obviously is mismatch of the runtime system
versions. The names that the loader flags as missing make it look like the
ProjectCenter framework was compiled for a 1.x version of the GNUstep runtime
system. The 2.x versions use different names for the class objects (essentially
replacing the prefix __objc_class_name_ by ._OBJC_CLASS_), so mixing libraries
or programs compiled for an older version of the runtime with those for the
current version is not possible.

Now I would expect that the FreeBSD packages don’t mix incompatible versions,
so maybe uninstalling and then reinstalling all GNUstep related packages would
get you straight again. Presumably the FreeBSD packages system has a command to
recursively update all your installed packages, but as I said I’m not really an
expert on this.

Wolfgang