Re: [ML] Re: Hosting of gnustep.org

From: Umberto Cerrato
Subject: Re: [ML] Re: Hosting of gnustep.org
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2021 16:43:50 +0000

> Il giorno 19 gen 2021, alle ore 17:34, Gregory Casamento
> <greg.casamento@gmail.com> ha scritto:
>

> Umberto,
>
> On Tue, Jan 19, 2021 at 6:30 AM Umberto Cerrato <umbertocerrato@outlook.it>
> wrote:
> (Hi there, I am quite new here, I am sorry for interfering here, I wanted to.)
>
> Is that really necessary?
>
> I do not know how much GNUstep is “libre”.
>
> Very.
>
> But usually, I would tend to stay out of big company platforms (f.e. Amazon)
> Making an exception only on some (like GitHub).
>

> true, but it's hard to avoid amazon.
>
> Theoretically (but that is a very personal opinion), to me the best platform
> would be a self hosted one. Relying on other(s) services the least possible.
>

> The issue with self-hosted solutions is reliability.  I have tried hosting
> things on my home network and downtime is just too much.
> PS:
> To me, these are tough choices.
> Eventually, I think the only thing GNUstep may need is just an aesthetic
> restyling.
>
> It needs that on many levels.

Yes. I didn’t say that, but really, I wanted to say that.

PS:
One of the thing I do not like AWS is that I find it ugly when I download
things from GitHub (IDK why, maybe even GH rely on AWS) and macOS shows me “do
you want to open this thing downloaded from _ugly amazon was link_ ?”

But really, that is the worst example ever on why I do not like the fact that
many people rely on AWS.
Eventually I am not against paying for having a service. But, are we sure there
are not “better” alternatives to AWS? Better for free software projects. So
services which can more in line with free software principles?