Re: [ML] Re: Hosting of gnustep.org

From: Umberto Cerrato
Subject: Re: [ML] Re: Hosting of gnustep.org
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2021 12:54:40 +0000

Il giorno 19 gen 2021, alle ore 13:45, Gregory Casamento <greg.casamento@gmail.com> ha scritto:

David,

On Tue, Jan 19, 2021 at 7:12 AM David Chisnall <gnustep@theravensnest.org> wrote:
Gregory,

On 19/01/2021 12:01, Gregory Casamento wrote:
>     Mhm AWS...
>     Not a fan of Amazon :P
>

> Don't care

You floated the idea of a CoC over Christmas and this is the kind of
exchange that makes me think that the project might need one.

You're right, I shouldn't have been so terse.  My sincere apologies.  I will explain why I was a little annoyed...

I understand that you don't want to derail the thread with long
discussions of the merits of different vendors but this kind of
confrontational and dismissive reply is not what I'd expect from a
leader of an inclusive free software or open source project.

My philosophy is to use what works.

I like that too. That’s why I didn’t reply.

I have just said my thought about Amazon services.
I do not completely like them. Yes, that is an emotional thing.
Just think like that: if you would ask “who wants to transfer all the stuff to amazon computers?” I would be undecided of rising my hand.

(Then you could ask “why?”. – but now I do not want to write the answer. (I am on the phone))

I get a little upset when I hear people say "I don't want to use this or that" especially when the reason is non-technical.  I find, often, that people have an unreasoning EMOTIONAL attachments to certain things and it simply makes no sense to me when the entire idea is to accomplish something technical.

Cutting things out without explaining WHY using a reasonable and logical argument is not something I am a huge fan of.  I have found in 12 years of being "lead" that, sometimes, it means making decisions that are good for the project, but that are, sometimes, unpopular.

David

Yours, GC
--
Gregory Casamento