GWorkspace : mounting removable devices

From: Patrick Cardona
Subject: GWorkspace : mounting removable devices
Date: Tue, 02 Jun 2020 19:34:42 +0200

Hi Riccardo,

Searching on the list archive about mounting removable devices, I realized that I never answered back your last messages about mounting removable devices within GWorkspace.

See :
https://www.mail-archive.com/discuss-gnustep@gnu.org/msg22866.html

Well, I try to sumarize the state of mounting on a GNU/Linux system (i.e. actually Raspbian 10.4) GWorkspace is 0.9.4 (07 2016 build) : are the mentionned patches applied on this version ?

My tests :

1) Configuration
As You suggested, I am now using System Preferences mount panel and because the usb stick is named CLEPAT, I added this line : "/media/pi/CLEPAT" in the "mount points for removable media".

2) I plugged the usb stick
Nothing automated.
Trying : #E from GWorkspace menu:
- Lightning on the stick briefly, but No icon was shown on the desktop

3) Using Hide/Show Desktop :
Nothing happened: I mean No icon was shown on the desktop

4) So I mounted this usb stick in a Terminal window in my userspace :
udisksctl mount -b ${BLOCK}${PARTITION}
Where :
BLOCK=/dev/sdb
PARTITION=1
Nothing happened : I mean No icon was shown on the desktop

5) Using Hide/Show Desktop again :
This time an icon was shown in the right top corner :
- name : CLEPAT (i.e. the usb stick label)
- icon type : a folder (not a drive)

6) Umounting this folder with #d ? I did not try this yet because I had real data on it...

7) Exiting GWorkspace and running it again...
The icon on the right corner has been updated : it was now a hard drive icon...
Curious. Why not the first time ?

8) Making a backup of the data with StepSync...
And then I tried umounting the NextStep way :
a) DND of the drive icon on the Trash icon... : the cursor became in the "prohibited" state and nothing happened. b) Selecting the drive icon on the Destop and then #d : the icon was removed and obviously the stick was shutdown.

9) Plugged the usb stick again...
#E... Nothing...
Steps 4-5 again
Integrity of data on the usb stick : OK.
Icon selected and then #d : umounting and shutting down OK.

Is this behaviour as You expected ?

Regards

--
Bien cordialement,