Re: GNUstep - look and feel

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: GNUstep - look and feel
Date: Sun, 10 May 2020 23:47:29 +0200

Hi!

On 2020-05-08 21:37:40 +0000 Andreas Höschler via Discussion list for the
GNUstep programming environment <discuss-gnustep@gnu.org> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> after fixing the little issue in NSAttributedString (our) rather complex
> database apps (developed on and for MacOSX) seem to be fully operational
> under Linux/GNUstep again. I tested a bunch of forms and encountered no more
> issues. That's so cool!
>
> Thanks a lot to Fred, Riccardo and a few others that helped to track the
> problem down!!

A pleasure, also your applications looks nice and it is a nice example on how
GNUstep performs, it looks very professionale, it could be a nice "success
story".

> However, is there anything we can do to improve the look and feel of the apps
> a bit?

Depends on the taste!
Personally I like your screenshot a lot... there are some details where the UI
could be tweaked and on the APp side and also the GS elements, but overall I
like it.

> We had Etoile running on Solaris 10 many years ago. This helped a bit. But I
> understand Etoile is no longer maintained and probably no longer compatible
> with the latest GNUstep sources!?

Never used it... but I GNUstep works on solaris, if you want! Keep it up and
running. I will resume some work in the near future, stay tuned.

> Are you guys woking with this greyish NextStep look from the eighties? Or is
> there a trick to customise/improve the look and feel a bit? It would already
> help to have the menu at the top of the screen again (like on MasOSX or with
> Etoile)!?

Well, personally I love the menus, so the only thing I prefer  is tweaking the
Icons and "brightening" the GNUstep grey which is dark on some setups (gamma
issues). It should look a little bit like the classic windows (because it
actually copied!). But I also use WIndowMaker!

I have some themes in GAP, if you like. The best versions are in SVN, I haven't
release them yet, maybe it is time for a clean pass and check! Once installed
you can set them per app, or I also have developed a Module for
SystemPreferences that replaces the old ColorScheme one.

Since now I have seen that XCfce has a classic Solaris/CDE look ("Stellar") I
am motivated to make a matching one too... absolutely!! [*]

Others have more radical theme!

For the menus only, though,  you can just a System-wide setting (t can be set
by the themes, but you don't need them). Open SystemPreferences, Defaults and
look for NSMenuInterfaceStyle and play with the 3 values. WIndows style may not
always work well, depending on how your app handles the "one" window, but try.

Cheers,
Riccardo

[*] My sparcstation 4 will be razed from old Solaris 2.6 in the next days for
BSD.. and will be GNUStepified! But the colors had a touch....

PS: Mail written with pride on GNUMail on GNUstep