Re: GNUstep Handheld

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: GNUstep Handheld
Date: Thu, 7 May 2020 16:53:31 +0100

On 07/05/2020 05:49, Gregory Casamento wrote:
Hey guys... I'd really like to start development on a (UIKit compatible or not) backend for Android which will allow the creation of GUI apps. Ideally what I would like is something that extends UIKit if possible. Since we are talking about this just my $0.02.

FYI: WinObjC has an MIT licensed UIKit and it's been used to port Android apps to Windows. It isn't very actively maintained anymore, but it uses the GNUstep Objective-C runtime. The code contains a load of Windowsisms, but it was originally very portable (it uses freetype for font rendering, for example, rather than anything Windowsy). If you want an Android UIKit, this would probably be a good place to start.

Note that it's a modern Objective-C++ codebase. I suspect that they'd be interested in accepting patches for non-Windows operating system support, if it kept the project alive.

David