回复: SwiftUI compatibility APIs in GNUstep's graphics stack (Was: Which O

From: Max Chan
Subject: 回复: SwiftUI compatibility APIs in GNUstep's graphics stack (Was: Which ObjC2.0 features are missing in the latest GCC?)
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2019 23:45:32 +0800

Hmm if this is the case, maybe we should end up with the Opal backend being
merged into GUI proper and all other backends discarded. Way too many actual
macOS and iOS apps uses CoreGraphics directly.

Also maybe we should drag OpenGL into this discussion, as a lot of
CoreAnimation stuff may need that. If this way, we have:

CoreAnimation: OpenGL open a window on screen.
Opal: Use cairo to CPU-render the view and put it onto that OpenGL window.
GNUstep GUI: NSView paints a window.

Dragging OpenGL in the discussion also allows us better compatibility with
Wayland too, as AFAIK Wayland uses exclusively OpenGL to render anything on the
screen.

(There has been a trend in the Linux world to copy Apple architecture. systemd
is a clone of launchd and networkd, Wayland is modeled after windowserver, etc.
We might as well play along.)