Re: Which ObjC2.0 features are missing in the latest GCC?

From: Johannes Brakensiek
Subject: Re: Which ObjC2.0 features are missing in the latest GCC?
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2019 19:45:00 +0100

On 24 Nov 2019, at 14:16, Yavor Doganov wrote:

Packaging libraries and development tools just because they are cool
and it is expected that hordes of developers will write useful
programs that utilize them is not a useful activity -- you have to
justify their inclusion in the distro and a hypothetical future
benefit is not a good argument.

Well, I think different about this (otherwise Apple f.e. would never have shipped any new software I think), but we can agree to disagree here.

If you don’t provide new tools for developers they are not going to
build new software for their users. It’s this way around not the
other and it’s no dilemma at all.

So you are basically saying that just because Debian does not provide
the right tools there is no software written yet?  Sorry to say that
but it's a ridiculous statement.

Well, I’m ok with that. They call me Mr. Ridiculous at times. And of course it is not because of Debian. It is a GNUstep and distribution/packaging thing.

Let me just tell you some things I did and let’s see what sounds that ridiculous to you:

Under Debian I typed apt-get install kdevelop and was provided a nice IDE and quite up-to-date tools to write and compile KDE/Qt software.

Somewhat later I typed apt-get install gnome-builder and I was provided a quite nice IDE and quite up-to-date tools to write and compile Gnome/GTK+ software.

I also typed apt-get install gnustep-devel and I was provided an IDE that looked like it jumped out of the 90s. I thought: Oh, not that bad, I can use Xcode and compile then. But I could not because the tools installed were not able to compile f.e. Rik.theme or .m files using recent language features.

I still liked the idea of GNUstep and luckily there were some nice people like Andreas Fink and Patryk Laurent who provided me their build instructions and scripts to help me building the new runtime. As a newbie it took me several weeks of my spare time and some mails to get a working build environment before I could start with developing at all. There were no public available build instructions or build scripts for Debian that worked at that time (I changed that).

Later this year I recognized that a working build environment is of no use at all if nobody is distributing that environment to my users. That was when I decided to leave Debian und use Ubuntu, because for users it would be way easier to install a PPA (that I could create) than to add an extra deb repository. Luckily some work was already done on https://launchpad.net/gnustep by Thomas Karl Pietrowski.

So, please tell me which part of this story sounds most ridiculous to you?

For me this cause is indeed a decision whether you are most
comfortable with the state in which GNUstep currently is or if you
would be more comfortable when it would develop to a further state,
maybe one where most ObjC currently is. If you want it to develop the
decision should be simple.

This is a bogus argument, GNUstep supports these new features and
developers who want to use them can do so.  Debian cannot stop them.

That’s true. It takes some efforts though. I think that’s a pity.

- https://github.com/64characters/Telephone
- https://github.com/subethaedit/SubEthaEdit
- http://colloquy.info/
- https://github.com/rburgst/time-tracker-mac

Are these projects directly buildable/runnable with GNUstep configured
for Clang and the modern runtime?  I doubt it.

No, of course they are not. But they could some day if the GNUstep project would decide and be able to develop some way further. That’s my point.

Johannes