Re: Which ObjC2.0 features are missing in the latest GCC?

From: Andreas Fink
Subject: Re: Which ObjC2.0 features are missing in the latest GCC?
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2019 12:27:29 +0100

> On 24 Nov 2019, at 10:11, Max Chan <xcvista@me.com> wrote:
>
> I would like to add another plus for dropping GCC: if we want any hope for
> Swift interworking, we have to use clang as the compiler.
>
> Apple have no plan to provide any GUI support on Linux version of Swift.

Theres some folks out there working on SwiftUI for other platforms as far as I
know.

> If we have Swift interworking, even though we may have to drop our own
> libobjc, Foundation and CoreFoundation in favor of Apple’s release, the
> GNUStep GUI package can provide the replacement AppKit that Apple’s Swift
> release lacked.

Is this really true? Interoperability with Swift in my eyes is important for
the future

Even though I personally don't like Swift (mainly because its not a natural
upgrade path from C style but implies totally new syntax and does not mean you
can easily slam existing C or ObjectiveC code in it and it takes time I don't
have to learn it again), its a modern language getting more and more
importance. Also in the light of the strong support of Swift from IBM I would
not underestimate its potential.

The future of Gnustep I see in the area of providing a real good desktop at the
end. It doesn't have to be a copycat of OS X but allowing ported applications
to work more or less out of the box. I like what ElementaryOS does. Except its
based on some fancy language called Vala which is a showstopper for porting.
The strengths of Gnustep are that people writing MacOS X apps could port them
to other platforms. And that should include Swift apps  as this area its
growing big. (and as Swift nicely interwork with ObjC).

I'm  happy to contribute (except I'm not a GUI guy but more  network/daemons
focused).