Re: Which ObjC2.0 features are missing in the latest GCC?

From: H. Nikolaus Schaller
Subject: Re: Which ObjC2.0 features are missing in the latest GCC?
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2019 09:08:45 +0100

> Am 22.11.2019 um 08:40 schrieb David Chisnall <gnustep@theravensnest.org>:
>
> On 22 Nov 2019, at 05:31, H. Nikolaus Schaller <hns@goldelico.com> wrote:
>>
>> And the first thing I turn off in a
>> new Xcode project is ARC.
>
> Why?  ARC generates smaller code, faster code, and code that is more likely
> to be correct.

I never had a problem with any of those three. Code correctness is rarely a
retain/release problem but the algorithm.
So it solves only a small percentage of the coding problems I do face.

>  I find it incredibly hard to understand why someone would actively choose to
> have to spend more time thinking about memory management so that they can end
> up with larger binaries that run more slowly.

Because it is less time typing release or autorelease at the right plcae, than
finding out how to install new toolchains which have unexpected dependencies
like search paths and choosing between multiple runtime libs... The non-ARC
rules are not difficult - if you are used to them. Otherwise it would have been
difficult to automate them for ARC.

My motto is: never touch a running system :)

And KISS: ObjC 1.0 was already complete for every-day use so I understood the
introduction of ObjC 2.0 only as a means to make it easier to hire and attract
JAVA programmers (who know dot notation and assume ARC/GC).

Well, I still have the dream of an Obj-C processor for ObjC 2.0 -> 1.0 which
would allow to choose language and compilers independently.

BR,
NIkolaus