Re: Savannah bug tracker disabled?

From: Gregory Casamento
Subject: Re: Savannah bug tracker disabled?
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2019 00:45:42 -0500

Guys,

On Sun, Nov 3, 2019 at 6:40 PM Riccardo Mottola <riccardo.mottola@libero.it> wrote:
Hi Fred,

Fred Kiefer wrote:
> As most of you may remember, I prefer to stay out of these political discussions. Discussing  code is frustrating enough. But this time I have to step up for Yavor. All he wrote was the an announcement about the bug tracker move would have been helpful. And I would go even further on that point. When we agreed on moving GNUstep to GitHub we also decided to leave the bug tracker on Savannah, at least this is my recollection of the result. Please correct me if I am wrong here. If this is true, a bit more of explanation for this step would be appropriate. Just saying that we no longe host our code in Savannah, even when done in capital letters, isn’t an argument. As some may recall, we did move from GNA to GitHub, our code hasn’t been hosted on Savannah for years.
>
> I really would like to hear an explanation not a rant. That may be acceptable behaviour in some countries at the moment, I hope the GNUstep discussion list is not a place like this.

while... I am one of those who sometimes takes decisions for
"ideological" reasons, I preferred to stay out of political discussions
and out of the mailing list all-together lately.

This is explicitly not a political discussion, but a technical one.

However, I think you remember right. we agreed to move the *code* to
github mainly because of lack of alternatives: the consensus was to move
to GIT from SVN, GNA unavailable and Savannah doesn't support(ed?)
multiple repositories we wanted for our subprojects.

This part is correct.
But the project had to stay on savannah, it was never agreed to move
anything except the code. Git would also allow in the feature a more a
painless "move out".

This is a misrepresentation of the discussion which occurred.  Nowhere was it discussed that the project "had to stay on savannah."  Strictly speaking it still is.   It just points to github.  It is confusing to split it as you seem to suggest.
In case, correctly, a migration of open bugs should have been performed,
decision confirmed after so many months, and so on. "Just so" is "Just
wrong".

Sorry you feel that way.   I searched for a way to migrate the existing bugs.  Unfortunately, as with many things on savannah, no way exists to do this cleanly.

Riccardo

PS: I don't have concerts that github was bought out by Microsoft,
however since it is of MS, the compatibility with most browser has been
broken, making it really tedious to use it: only latest Firefox and
Chrome siblings work. The interface continues also randomly changing...

I've had no problems along these lines.  I'm guessing whatever version of a given browser you're using might be outdated.   I would be glad to test with a bunch of different browsers to see if this is true.

GC
--
Gregory Casamento
http://ind.ie/phoenix/