Re: Cacao Linux - GNUstep based Linux distribution

From: Gregory Casamento
Subject: Re: Cacao Linux - GNUstep based Linux distribution
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2018 19:13:57 -0400

Hey

On Mon, Oct 22, 2018 at 02:48 lars.sonchocky-helldorf@hamburg.de <lars.sonchocky-helldorf@hamburg.de> wrote:
Hi List, hi Greg,

Am 21.10.2018 um 16:06 schrieb Liam Proven <lproven@gmail.com>:

On Thu, 18 Oct 2018 at 01:42, Gregory Casamento
<greg.casamento@gmail.com> wrote:

All,

I am launching a kickstarter project to help to create a Linux distribution based on GNUstep.  Please take a look, feel free to make suggestions and comment.  The link is here:

This has kicked off an interesting discussion on Reddit. I think
everyone here needs to come and take a look, and answer if possible.

https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/9p9g0l/interesting_in_a_different_desktop/e838pxk/?context=3&utm_content=context&utm_medium=message&utm_source=reddit&utm_name=frontpage

Highlight:

https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/9p9g0l/interesting_in_a_different_desktop/e838pxk/

it would be helpful, if Greg would chime in here. I quote this here in case Greg did not read the reddit:

"This strikes me as pretty cool (in several ways — e.g. nostalgia for a better world that almost existed and easier compatibility with MacOS).
However (and I'm not sure whether this will be read by anybody who can rectify this), how do we know that the person organising the kickstarter is who they claim to be? (Most probably he is indeed the maintainer of GNUstep, but I think that it should be good practice to make verifying such things easier when money is involved — i.e. if Gregory Casamento happens to read this, by any chance, none of this is against you, but against someone unscrupulous who might have been trying to impersonate you, and exploit your (admirable) work on free/libre software.)
The GNUstep website doesn't link to the kickstarter anywhere. The list of developers does list Gregory Casamento as the chief developer, but it only links to his blog, which again doesn't mention the kickstarter.
The twitter account of a (?) Gregory Casamento does mention the kickstarter and it links to the above mentioned blog, but the blog doesn't seem to link back to the twitter account. The twitter account is quite old, so if this were a con, this would have to have been a long con (making it far less likely); OTOH I'm not sure whether twitter doesn't allow for changing usernames, etc.“

I think this needs to be rectified …

I responded to this and confirmed it’s me.  I will also add the links in the appropriate places.

regards,

Lars
--
Gregory Casamento