Re: make fails in gnustep base

From: Andreas Fink
Subject: Re: make fails in gnustep base
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2018 07:37:06 +0200

> On 3 Sep 2018, at 23:40, Ivan Vučica <ivan@vucica.net> wrote:
>
> So, uh, libulibtcap depends on code in libasn1? Library order matters
> to the linker.

Sure thats why we have linkers. it dynamically links things together.  These
are all dynamic libraries so the final linking should find all references or
bail out.
However I do not get a link failure. At the end everything is linked together.
I have runtime errors and very bizarre ones. Not crashes but _some_ properties
not being set properly.

> If you can't fix it (and it sounds like you can?) then you can pass
> --start-group and --end-group to the linker so it performs multiple
> passes.
>
> If you are passing the options --start-group and --end-group to the
> compiler instead of the linker, you may need to use -Wl,--start-group
> and -Wl,--end-group.
>
> What I'm saying depends on the linker, of course, and it's been a
> while since I needed this, making it hard for me to know which
> particular linker I'm talking about here. :-)

I would like to understand whats really happening here. I can understand things
like it doesn't find symbols. These things would at least make sense. But this
behaviour is very irrational to me.