Re: building GNUstep from scratch

From: Ivan Vučica
Subject: Re: building GNUstep from scratch
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2018 12:43:12 -0700

Are you sure it’s actually using Clang? Try "make VERBOSE=1” according to https://stackoverflow.com/a/2673355

On 21 August 2018 at 19:30:40, Scott Christley (schristley@mac.com) wrote:

Hello All,

It's awhile since I've built GNUstep from scratch, and I'm having trouble with my initial attempts, so I hope somebody can give me some pointers. I only need to get as far as gnustep-base for my code to work. Some quick background:

* I'm working on a supercomputer which has quite old software and I have little control over it, so I'm going to use docker (and singularity) to get to a somewhat modern level OS.

* I'm also using the Nvidia GPUs on the supercomputer which means I need to use Nvidia's docker image as the base. This image is based upon Ubuntu 14.04, so not too bad. GCC 4.8.4 is available on it.

I played around with ngrewe's GNUstep docker images and they are quite nice, but there is no way to "merge" those with the Nvidia image. I also tried using apt-get to install GNUstep, but the release is too old. My own code didn't compile as I'm using more recent APIs and classes.

I installed a bunch of dependencies which was fine, including libdispatch and libblockruntime which are hope are not too old. Next, I installed clang 6.0.1 binaries, then tried to compile libobjc2 1.8.1 which is where I've run into trouble. I'm following the basic install instructions:

mkdir Build
cd Build
cmake ..
make

and it is failing with error:

[ 30%] Building C object Test/CMakeFiles/ManyManySelectors_optimised.dir/ManyManySelectors.m.o

cc: error: unrecognized command line option '-fobjc-runtime=gnustep-1.7'

cc: error: unrecognized command line option '-fblocks'

make[2]: *** [Test/CMakeFiles/ManyManySelectors_optimised.dir/ManyManySelectors.m.o] Error 1

make[1]: *** [Test/CMakeFiles/ManyManySelectors_optimised.dir/all] Error 2

make: *** [all] Error 2

Any help is appreciated.

thanks
Scott