Re: FreeBSD ports for GNUMail and Pantomime

From: Edwin Ancaer
Subject: Re: FreeBSD ports for GNUMail and Pantomime
Date: Sat, 4 Aug 2018 07:42:48 +0200

Hello,

publicly ask a question and then you suddenly see that stupid error you did not find before......

I've got poudriere working now and build all the necessary ports for GNUMail and Pantomime. It took almost 16 hours on this old laptop (especiallyclang is very hard for this machine).

Of course, I built it from the default ports tree, which was not  changed, but the result looked OK.

I hope to find the time to build the updated ports tomorrow.

Thanks,

Edwin Ancaer

On 2 Aug 2018, at 10:16, Edwin Ancaer <eancaer@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I was experimenting with poudriere, jails and the ports in FreeBSD when
> I read about the new version 1.3.0 of GNUMail and Pantomime,

First, thank you very much for looking at this!  It’s been on my todo list for a while and keeps being bumped off the top.

> I thought it would be a good test to try and locally update these ports. Of course I ran  into a problem. After typing make install, I get the following error:
>
> gmake[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/local/poudriere/ports/HEAD/mail/gnumail/work/GNUMail-1.3.0'
> ====> Compressing man pages (compress-man)
> ===>   Installing ldconfig configuration file
> ===>  Installing for gnumail-1.3.0_1
> ===>  Checking if gnumail already installed
> ===>   Registering installation for gnumail-1.3.0_1
> pkg-static: Unable to access file /usr/local/poudriere/ports/HEAD/mail/gnumail/work/stage/usr/local/GNUstep/System/Library/Frameworks/GNUMail.framework/Versions/1/libGNUMail.so.1.3.0:No such file or directory
> pkg-static: Unable to access file /usr/local/poudriere/ports/HEAD/mail/gnumail/work/stage/usr/local/GNUstep/System/Library/Libraries/libGNUMail.so.1.3.0:No such file or directory

This looks suspicious.  The path /usr/local/poudriere/ports is a path on your host system, but poudriere should be running the build in a jail.

> *** Error code 74
>
> Stop.
> make: stopped in /usr/local/poudriere/ports/HEAD/mail/gnumail
>
> When checking, it seems the file  libGNUMail.so.1.2.3 has been built in the directory /usr/local/poudriere/ports/HEAD/mail/gnumail/work/stage/usr/local/GNUstep/System/Library/Libraries/.

This also looks a bit odd, because this filesystem should be mounted read-only in the jail.  The work directory should be somewhere else (a separate zfs or tmpfs filesystem that’s destroyed after the build).

> Now I'm in doubt in which direction I should be looking: did the wrong version of libGNUMail got build, or is it pkg-static that is looking for a wrong version of the library.

It looks as if your poudriere configuration or invocation is wrong.  Could you paste the poudriere commands that you used to create the jails and ports tree and the testport line?

David