Re: Migrating GNUstep home folder to another computer

From: Patrick CARDONA
Subject: Re: Migrating GNUstep home folder to another computer
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2018 00:24:19 +0200

On 2018-07-24 23:41:08 +0200 Yavor Doganov <yavor@gnu.org> wrote:

> В Tue, 24 Jul 2018 20:49:43 +0200, Patrick CARDONA написа:
>
>> Maybe I do not the things the right way within GWorkspace.
>
> Or there could be a bug that may be fixed in 0.9.4.  Has this worked properly
> on Ubuntu?

It was the same behaviour.
As I can understand, GWorkspace checks /etc/mtab only when it loads the
desktop. So, when I use the workaround (hide and show again the desktop) this
works to show the disk icon.
What is strange, is that when I unmount ($ udisksctl unmount -p [device_path])
the disk icon is hidden as expected : so the behaviour is dynamic with
unmounting, not at mounting.

>> Is GWorkspace using DBUS messaging between apps and udisks2 ?
>
> No but this is a neat idea.
>
>> I dropped the Ubuntu one, so my question was about migrating from Debian
>> to Debian (maybe stable to testing)
>
> There should be no problems here.
>
>> So what happens when a user want to upgrade : are some sub-directories
>> to conserve, like $HOME/GNUstep/Library and $HOME/GNUstep/Applications
>> and others to be dropped ?
>
> You shouldn't worry about it.  Each application should handle its own
> defaults and data, if some kind of migration is necessary.

Nice !

Well, all my shell scripts are ready now, so I think I will migrate soon.

Bye!
Patrick