Re: Linking frameworks does not work

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Linking frameworks does not work
Date: Wed, 2 May 2018 16:40:45 +0100

> On 2 May 2018, at 16:10, Andreas Höschler <ahoesch@smartsoft.de> wrote:
>

> Thanks a lot. I added
>
>    [SRMailDelivery sendMailFrom:@"asas" to:@"asas" subject:@"asas"
> body:@"asas" attachmentsAndFilenames:nil];
>
> to the code and this indeed forced SRFoundation to be linked in. The
> execption happens now later when trying to call a category method of just
> another framework.
>
> This is indeed painful and annoying and has not always been that way in the
> past, not on Solaris with GNUstep make and also not on Debian and Kubuntu and
> definitely not on MacOSX.

I think it *has* always been the case on GNU/Linux (which includes Debian and
Kubuntu) as it's a function of how the system tools resolve symbols, not a
function of gnustep-make.
Certainly I recall having to explicitly reference classes to do that in the
1990s

> Does this mean that I have to define a dummy class in each framework and
> include calls to these dummy classes for every 12 frameworks I have in use at
> app launch? How annoying and dirty is that? :-( There is no cleaner solution?

Lookingt at gnustep-make (frameword.make), it creates a dummy class in each
framework anyway (to hold information needed by NSBundle).  Perhaps you could
leverage that.