Re: [INFO] NEXTSPACE

From: Sergii Stoian
Subject: Re: [INFO] NEXTSPACE
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2017 01:02:06 +0200

Hi,

On Mon, Nov 27, 2017 at 11:31 PM, Bertrand Dekoninck <bertrand.dekoninck@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi,
Le 27/11/2017 00:28, Sergii Stoian a écrit :
On Sun, Nov 26, 2017 at 7:36 PM, Bertrand Gmail
<bertrand.dekoninck@gmail.com <mailto:bertrand.dekoninck@gmail.com>> wrote:

    Le 26/11/2017 à 09:27, Graham Lee a écrit :

        Hi Sergii,

        this is very exciting. For me, the unification of GWorkspace
        with the window manager alone makes it all worthwhile; having
        GWorkspace and WindowMaker each produce their own desktop
        background window and their own Dock made them less useful.
        Thank you!

    I don't think it's GWorkspace but a brand new app called Workspace
    as in Nextstep.
      That's a choice but I think that this can of integration would be
    valuable for GWorkspace also. In fact, one thing that I lack, is the
    ability of GNUstep to integrate non gnustep apps : to give them an
    app icon who could be handled by GWorkspace or any other NSWorkspace
    app, to give them a global menu as any other GNUstep app, etc. One
    can even imagine that GNUstep could give them window decoration and
    handle the window management.

I've already thought about that style of grabbing non-GNUstep
application's menu and show it as GNUstep one like Ubuntu's Unity does
it. They call it global menu, right? I need some research in that field.
I think I can look into it after 1.0 release of NEXTSPACE. Anyway it's a
good idea for TODO list of project.

    For now, GWorkspace uses app wrappers and they are clearly lacking
    this kind of features.

App wrappers is not GWorkspace only solution. It is OpenStep application
bundles style. It is possible to read and parse
/usr/share/applications/*.desktop files. But there is the desktop design
question: where do we place GNOME, GTK, KDE, Qt applications found? I
doesn't have answer right now.

Opening freedesktop .desktopfiles would be a huge step towards integration with other opensource frameworks. Not only to open their apps, but also to display the icon of those apps and to be able to open the files of the associated mime-type.
We could get rid of app-wrappers.

In fact, I already use .desktop files in GWorkspace, because it's my day-to-day desktop and using foreign apps is mandatory.

 I've build an app-wrapper for a utility called exo-open, which can open .desktop files from command-line.

Once this app-wrapper is installed in the Application folder, I can double click on any . desktop file to open the app. Of course, desktop files don't display the icon of those apps, and there is no filetype association.

To my understanding, desktop files can be left where they are : in /usr/share/applications.

It's only a matter of having a shortcut to this place on the shelf of one of my GWorkspace window. That's what I've done.

Copy that. This is great idea.
I need to finish Preferences.app first (mouse, sound, network, power) . After that I've planned to return to Workspace anyway.
Bertrand