Re: ANN: GNUMail & Pantomime 1.2.3

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: ANN: GNUMail & Pantomime 1.2.3
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2017 23:08:13 +0200

Hi,

On 09/09/2017 19:32, Bertrand Dekoninck wrote:
Now I can use it and it's relatively pleasant :
- it always had a very cool icon ;-)
- it's well integrated in my GNUstep desktop and beautiful with the rik theme. - it works closely with AddressManager.app so this app can finally be usefull. - it feels a lot like the old Mail in OSX but it's lacking html parsing (obviously, without webkit or simplewebkit...).

True, but we could improve that with tricks similar to Grr for minimal HTML formatting. SWK would be ideal, being lighter! I'd like GNUMail to remain of light footprint. What is strange is that some HTML emails are displayed badly, although Thunderbirds shows them. They are probably incorrect, I think the MIME type is wrong, but Thunderbird does some tricks to catch it anyway.

- it's better translated in French on gnustep than on OSX, but the translation is still unfinished - on my todo list from now :-). This is why I had so much pain setting up my mail accounts : some english labels are very confusing in the preference window.

Well, we can improve that. The first thing to see if the translation is just missing (easy: add the string) or is not provided by the code, but I can fix that too.

- can it handle lots of accounts ? lots of email ?
I've got random crashes when I access my gnustep-discuss folder containing 1779 mails.

I have some folders with 5500 mails and it works, so it must be something different than the sheer number of mails. It could be that certain emails give issues or that the total size is a problem.

- on MacOSX what is you favorite mail application ? Why GNUMail is better/worst ?

I didn't tested it a lot on Leopard. Clearly, it's inferior for now. But it's free software. Compared to GNUstep, having the mailboxes in a drawer on OSX is better than a floating window ( drawers are buggy on GNUstep) : there is less desktop clutter and less window management problems than on GNUstep.

I like it on Mac very well and I keep it supported on older versions as much as I can. on Tiger it works great. I prefer it in many aspects to Apple Mail, especially the interface. However Apple Mail is more polished, complete in many details and as can be expected more stable and integrated usable in other details. If I could fix one or two bugs and add some feature details, it would be my favourite. GNUmail replies well to lists, has easy list, folders, attachments and feels overall nice.
Apple is better in editing, address management, filters and stability.

I have an old iBook 10.3 with PPC and there it is my favourite! Fun that it can still run there and keep the PPC machines usable.

Riccardo