Re: GNUstep Live on OSnews

From: Ivan Vučica
Subject: Re: GNUstep Live on OSnews
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2017 22:49:18 +0000

On Mon, Jul 31, 2017 at 11:16 PM Bertrand Gmail <bertrand.dekoninck@gmail.com> wrote:
Le 31/07/2017 à 20:02, Steven R. Baker a écrit :
> Any chance you could document your setup with screenshots and code? A
> blog, perhaps? Or a video? This overlaps *very much* with some stuff
> I'm doing right now, and I'd love to see what you've got, and what's
> left.

I'll try to put screenshots/cats  somewhere if I can.
You can see one screenshot here :
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/BertrandDekoninck/rik.theme/master/newscreen.png
Iattach my autostart file here and the code of my little topbar GSPanel
is on my github repo : https://github.com/BertrandDekoninck. But it's
nothing more than a bar with a label and a button.

Bertrand Dekoninck

This is absolutely beautiful. I'll have to install Rik. I'd also love to hear more about the rest of the setup: how do I go from a blank home folder of a newly installed ${favorite_distro} to your UX.

PS : maybe some bash expert could tell in another thread how to track
the owner of a process in bash. My autostart file can avoid to launch
processes (like gnome-settings-daemon) if it runs already but it should
be launched if the running one had been launched by another user than $USER.

What do you mean by owner?

If you are interested in user under which the current process is running... why not $USER? It's a reasonable approximation. Also $LOGNAME. I don't know how much either of these is portable.

Alternatively /proc/self is full of useful things under Linux.

There's /proc/self/loginuid which gives you, well, login user's ID as far as I can tell (501 is the correct value for me). Use 'getent passwd 501' to map that to the username.

If you meant 'parent process', look at  /proc/self/stat which gives you current process id and parent process ID.

Example contents:
2867 (bash) S 2866 2867 2867 34836 ....and more here...

2867 is ID of the examined process.
2866 was for me parent ID. So I'd say this is how you get parent ID.

More human readable version seems to be /proc/self/status where you can find the parent in "PPid".

Is either of these what you meant?