Re: GNUstep in Windows 10 - Epic Fail

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: GNUstep in Windows 10 - Epic Fail
Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2017 12:20:04 +0100

On 7 Jul 2017, at 23:51, Jay Versluis <versluis2000@yahoo.com> wrote:

> However, I guess I need clang and LLVM to compile for Objective-C 2.0 and
> ARC. Again, not a problem, I’ve downloaded both those sources using the MINGW
> shell and want to build them. The LLVM site says this can’t be done with gcc
> of course, and I need cmake. So I’m downloading that too, and building it
> using its own bootstrap tool, I’m getting an error. Sadly the tool does not
> tell me what’s wrong: it points me to the log file, which tells me everything
> went fine. But when I try to build cmake, naturally I get an error. Sigh.

If you are intending to use clang on Windows for Objective-C, then I’d strongly
recommend using Microsoft’s fork of both clang/LLVM and the GNUstep Objective-C
runtime:

https://github.com/microsoft/winobjc/

These contain a number of patches for better Windows support (including things
like interoperability between Objective-C[++] and C++ exceptions on Windows)
that Microsoft is in process of upstreaming to the various projects.  I believe
that they also supply pre-built versions of these for Visual Studio.

David