Emacs 25.2 & GNUStep - A Fresh Start

From: Steven Nunez
Subject: Emacs 25.2 & GNUStep - A Fresh Start
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2017 03:28:40 +0000 (UTC)

Gents,

Emacs 25.2 was recently released, so I thought I'd give it a go. The good news is that the build works fine on the first try. The bad news is that the resulting executable core dumps, both when running the app, and the executable directly with the -nw option. Here is the run-down:

  1. Obtained 25.2 source tarball from https://emacsformacosx.com/download/emacs-sources/emacs-25.2.tar.xz
  2. Configure with: env CFLAGS="-DGNUSTEP -I/usr/local/include" ./configure --with-ns --with-gnustep-conf=/usr/local/GNUstep/GNUstep.conf
  3. gmake

All good until this point. Try to run:
venus% openapp ./Emacs.app
zsh: segmentation fault (core dumped)   openapp ./Emacs.app
Ok, let's try to find out why:
venus% gdb Emacs.core
GNU gdb 6.1.1 [FreeBSD]
[snip]
This GDB was configured as "i386-marcel-freebsd"..." /usr/home/sn/Downloads/emacs-25.2/nextstep/Emacs.core": not in executable format: File format not recognized

(gdb) quit
venus% file Emacs.core
Emacs.core: ELF 32-bit LSB core file Intel 80386, version 1 (FreeBSD), FreeBSD-style, from 'cs'
I get a similar result from 'debugapp'. Anyone have any ideas?

Cheers,
    - Steve

P.S. the 26.x line of emacs requires some changes to the Objective-C code. Something about blocks. I added -fblocks to CFLAGS and got it to compile, but had the same results as above.