Re: Ubuntu freetype link problem PDFKit

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: Ubuntu freetype link problem PDFKit
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2017 23:39:55 +0100

Hi Wolfgang,

On 2017-03-18 19:54:20 +0100 Wolfgang Lux <wolfgang.lux@gmail.com> wrote:

I can get things to work&link this way
1) compile PDFKit against freetype with the standard freetype-config --libs options, which would be -lfreetype, this completes without error 2) when using PDFKit (in this case GWorkspace) I need to again add -lfreetype to be able to link against PDFKit

my understanding is that you should not need 2). Having a closer look at PDFKit it seems the problem is the order of link arguments in the PDFKit GNUmakefile.in, which effectively means you are not linking the PDFKit framework at all with the freetype-config --libs option. Note that the order of arguments on the linker command line is important. In particular any -l options MUST follow the object files that use the respective libraries, otherwise those libraries are simply not used during linking. So, instead of
  ADDITIONAL_LDFLAGS += $(LIB_FREETYPE_LDFLAGS)
  ADDITIONAL_LDFLAGS += $(XPDF_OBJ_FILES)  -lm
you should use
  ADDITIONAL_LDFLAGS += $(XPDF_OBJ_FILES)  -lm
  ADDITIONAL_LDFLAGS += $(LIB_FREETYPE_LDFLAGS)

Well spotted. Your order makes more sense of course. During the simplifcation and reactoring of the makefiles, I got this wrong. Using your order works now on Ubuntu without any tricks. Promptly committed!

I wonder how it did work on all other platforms? A quick test on FreeBSD shows it still works and others plaforms will follow soon, the critical one I do know is OpenBSD actually.

Thanks again,

Riccardo