Re: Emacs Anyone?

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: Emacs Anyone?
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2017 15:22:05 +0100

Hi Steven,

On 03/02/17 01:15, Steven Nunez wrote:
That is unfortunate. It looks a lot better when developers eat their own dog food. A few of questions for the team then, if you don't mind:

We try hard to :)

  • What are GNUStep developers using? Emacs compiled for Gnome?

Personally I use a combination of gvim, xemacs or emacs and use them as configured on the shipped package of the OS.

  • Did it ever work well? Seems all the posts I can find out the topic said something wasn't quite right, but that's to be expected since they would not be posting otherwise.

It used to work better, almost being usable, back in 10.2/10.3 Mac times. It probably did rot again.

  • Does anyone know how broken it is? I.e. What would it take to get things working?

I did an attempt to build these days and it is hard to says how much it is broken, the code is complicated.

I may be interested in sponsoring a maintainer, provided it is not a huge expense.

The first thing would be perhaps to find and get in contact with the Mac developer(s).
I see a lot of cocoa specific stuff and speaking with them would help.

Getting a native GS again would be very nice. I can imagine the joy of being able to install emacs-gnustep instead of emacs-gtk as a package on Debian or BSD :)

Riccardo