Re: Tooltips problem on Gnome 3

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: Tooltips problem on Gnome 3
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2016 21:27:02 +0100

Am 09.11.2016 um 08:07 schrieb Germán Arias:
> Hi,
>
> I notice the problem is not present always. Sometimes when I launch the
> app these works perfectly. But sometimes don't work. However the
> tooltips works or not work, there is not a mix state where (after
> launch the app) the tooltips works and sometimes not. When tooltips are
> big (as is the case on FisicaLab) I can notice the tooltip window seems
> to be minimized. Other thing is that if I run the app with:
>
> openapp ./FisicaLab --GNU-Debug=WM
>
> I get:
>
> FisicaLab[4174:4174] WM Protocols: WindowMaker=(NO) GNOME=(NO) KDE=(NO)
> EWMH=(YES)
>
> This say I'm not using Gnome. Could be this the problem?

No, this shouldn't be an issue. The check for Gnome is that we see
whether the atom "_WIN_SUPPORTING_WM_CHECK" is set on the root window.
This has been replaced by "_NET_SUPPORTING_WM_CHECK", which is the EWMH
way to do the same. The Gnome setting is only a fallback for very old
Gnome systems.

That said you could try to find out which values setwindowlevel: is
setting on your machine for tool tips and what would be the correct
ones. You will need to add your own logging for this.

Fred