Re: Windows support

From: Giah de Barag
Subject: Re: Windows support
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2016 03:43:23 -0400

Thank you. Your perspective is helpful. After trying different wrong scenarios
and learning from mistakes, I am starting to realize what is what. I apologize
for helpless emails. I have assembled msys2, mingw64, mingw32 and compiled
GNUstep on mingw32, and it seems fine.

I have spent time trying to discover why GDB crashes when you try to create an
NSString convenience variable. This bug happens on Windows and Linux. I have
built gdb from source and spent time debugging it and tracked down some of the
offending code. As Gregory said about imploring and fixing, so am I attempting
to do.

On Aug 23, 2016, at 04:45, Riccardo Mottola <riccardo.mottola@libero.it> wrote:

Hi,

> On 23/08/2016 00:17, Giah de Barag wrote:
> To build GNUstep on Windows (where I work) GCC is required and Clang does not
> work.
>
> If GNUstep starts becoming incompatible with GCC, it will start breaking
> GNUstep on Windows.

as for now, we are still fully compatible with GCC. Of course, you cannot use
certain "features" that are available only in clang.
Sadly, there is little objective-c effort in the GCC theme and there were some
releases that were quite bad: so how long the GNU compiler will be able to
support GNU-step depends also on GCC's effort.

Currently, GCC support is still very good, I have no issues on Linux, BSD and
Windows. All applications I maintain work on both compilers.

Sorry to read that you have many issues on Windows. I am able to compile and
run most Applications that do have very specific needs. There are specific
Window issues though.

Riccardo